I love, love, love Christmastime. Not only is it a fun and playful time of year, it helps make the long Minnesota winters a little more bearable. But it’s more than just a date on the calendar, the holiday season is an ambiance. A collection of sensory experiences: frosted windows, pine boughs, scented candles, crackling fires, snuggly quilts, that embody the season. But there is another much-needed item to complete the scene: seasonal cocktails. Cranberry punch, mulled wine, hard ciders, Irish coffees, they all taste their best surrounded by twinkle lights and mistletoe.
Another seasonal staple, by far, is eggnog. Love it or hate it, eggnog is at the top of the list when people envision a holiday-themed menu. And in our home, we happen to love it. Our refrigerator is regularly stocked with eggnog, it is one of, if not the best mixer for Christmas season cocktails. Some people go the traditional route when spiking eggnog and just add Brandy. Others add Kahlua or Bailey’s. We like to take it a step further, with what my husband has dubbed, the Hotnog.
Hotnog is cinnamon spiked eggnog using whiskey and root beer. I don’t know what made him think to add these ingredients together, but I am so glad he did. We have served this recipe at several holiday gatherings and it is always a hit.
How to make cinnamon spiked eggnog
- 1-ounce shot glass
- 12-ounce glass
- 2 ounces cinnamon whiskey
- 2 ounces root beer
- Whipped cream (recipe below)
- Ground cinnamon
- Pack your glass full of ice
- Pour in your whiskey and root beer, stir
- Add enough eggnog to fill the remainder of the glass, stir
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with ground cinnamon
To make whipped cream
- Hand mixer
- Mixing bowl – chilled for at least 30 minutes
- 1-pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In your chilled bowl, whip all ingredients until stiff peaks form
- Serve immediately or store in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months
Enjoy this delicious recipe all season long. Sending wishes to you and yours for a very happy, very merry holiday season.