It’s zucchini season and our garden is overflowing. Zucchini is a very versatile vegetable and can be made into a puree to add to breads, baked into chips, grilled with salt and pepper, eaten raw with hummus, or steamed in a ratatouille. My favorite way to eat zucchini is to make them into noodles. Tossed with pesto or olive oil zucchini noodles have tons of flavor and a fresh crunch that make any meal so satisfying you’ll never miss pasta. Today I am going to share with you one of my favorite “pasta” dishes using zucchini noodles.
Garlic and Shrimp Zucchini Noodle “Pasta”
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 medium zucchini, noodled
Note on “noodling” the zucchini: There are several methods to noodle a zucchini; I used a mandolin on the julienne setting to make my noodles (it cuts the zucchini into little strips). You can also use a vegetable peeler and peel the zucchini in long, thin strips or use a spiralizer.
- Warm a large sauté pan over medium heat for about a minute then add butter and olive oil (butter and olive oil have different burning points so by using them both you lessen the likeliness of burning the shrimp to the pan)
- Add minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute
- Add shrimp to your pan and cook until pink, about three minutes. Stir as needed.
- With a slotted spoon remove the cooked shrimp and place in a bowl, leave the liquid in the pan.
- Add the white wine and lemon juice to the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrap off any browning off the bottom of the pan. Cook the liquid until it begins a light boil, this will reduce the drippings into a sauce.
- Place the zucchini noodles in the pan and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return the shrimp to the pan and toss all of the ingredients together.
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
This meal is fresh, healthy and a great way to use zucchini; whether you serve it for lunch or dinner this meal is sure to please. Enjoy!